Practical Law US is looking for a Senior Legal Editor who has a passion for research and writing on legal topics to create attorney-specific resources for our Finance Service. We are looking for someone who has focused their career on consumer regulatory matters. Our culture is dynamic, energetic and intellectual. Our hours are regular and vacations are never interrupted. We work collaboratively on resources and interesting projects that integrate with Thomson Reuter’s other offerings, particularly in the legal technology space. This role can be located out of a home office anywhere in the United States if the candidate does not live near a Thomson Reuters office.
The focus of the Senior Legal Editor is to expand the scope of our legal know-how materials in the following areas:
- Regulation of debt collection.
- Consumer mortgage regulation.
- Dodd-Frank Act.
- Consumer financial protection (Federal).
- CFPB regulations and supervision.
- Fair Lending laws.
- Fair Credit Reporting laws.
- Regulation of payday lending, online marketplace lenders, student loans, ancillary credit card products, credit cards, emerging payment systems, prepaid cards, etc.
The Senior Legal Editor will:
- Conceptualize, draft and edit original legal know-how materials, including practice notes, annotated standard-form documents and checklists for online and print publication.
- Maintain current awareness of and analyze law and market practice in this area.
- Focus and shape the future of Practical Law’s consumer regulatory content.
- Collaborate with sales and marketing teams to plan and lead product demonstrations, webinars and in-person continuing legal education seminars for current and potential subscribers.
- Assist with the development of special projects undertaken by Thomson Reuters and Practical Law.
- Write and edit content for Practical Law’s companion magazine, Practical Law The Journal.
- Develop and use existing relationships with in-house counsel and legal practitioners to ensure that the consumer regulatory content is topical and meets their needs.
Candidates should have at least the following skills and experience:
- A J.D. and at least eight years of consumer regulatory experience.
- Enthusiasm and ambition, with a desire to improve the efficiency of legal services.
- A solid understanding of the needs of law firm attorneys and corporate counsel with respect to all areas of consumer regulatory law practice.
- Ability to understand and interpret fundamental workings and trends within the consumer regulatory space.
- A passion for writing and good editing skills, including:
- very close attention to detail;
- impressive command of grammar, punctuation, and plain English; and
- the ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply.
Candidates selected for a second interview will be required to provide a writing sample.
Do you want to be part of a team helping re-invent the way knowledge professionals work? How about a team that works every day to create a more transparent, just and inclusive future? At Thomson Reuters, we’ve been doing just that for almost 160 years. Our industry-leading products and services include highly specialized information-enabled software and tools for legal, tax, accounting and compliance professionals combined with the world’s most global news services – Reuters. We help these professionals do their jobs better, creating more time for them to focus on the things that matter most: advising, advocating, negotiating, governing and informing.
We are powered by the talents of 25,000 employees across more than 75 countries, where everyone has a chance to contribute and grow professionally in flexible work environments that celebrate diversity and inclusion. At a time when objectivity, accuracy, fairness and transparency are under attack, we consider it our duty to pursue them. Sound exciting? Join us and help shape the industries that move society forward.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
To apply for this job please visit thomsonreuters.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.