Website The New York State Office of the Attorney Genera
Division of Criminal Justice
Medicaid Fraud Control Unit – New York City
Special Assistant Attorney General
Reference No. MFCU_NYC_SAAG/CIV_3362
Application Deadline is August 27, 2021
The New York State Office of the Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit is seeking an experienced litigator to serve as a Special Assistant Attorney General in its Civil Enforcement Division, which is based primarily in the Unit’s New York City office. The selected candidate will lead complex civil fraud investigations in the healthcare industry and handle asset forfeiture actions and other matters involving civil remedies.The Civil Enforcement Division will consider applications from attorneys with prosecutorial experience who are seeking to expand their range of skills.
Utilizing various state laws, including the New York State False Claims Act, Social Services Law §145-b, and the Executive Law, the Unit brings civil actions and criminal proceedings to successfully prosecute individuals and companies who are responsible for improper or fraudulent Medicaid billing schemes. Many of the Unit’s investigations are conducted in coordination with other state, federal or local government and prosecutorial agencies, and have resulted in revenue generation through the large-scale recovery of taxpayer money. Additionally, MFCU investigates reports of abuse and neglect of residents at nursing homes and other health care facilities in New York. The importance of this work is highlighted in the OAG’s January 2021 report investigating allegations of COVID-19-related neglect of nursing home residents across New York State.
Applicants must possess the following minimum qualifications:
- A minimum of four (4) years of practice experience, including substantial experience conducting pre-filing investigations and discovery;
- Outstanding legal research and writing abilities;
- Excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills;
- The ability to articulate the critical issues in a case accurately and precisely;
- Good judgment with the ability to work independently and as a productive team member fostering supportive, respectful and collaborative relationships with the Unit’s professional and support staff;
- Technology proficiency that preferably includes knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office applications, case management software and eDiscovery platforms; and
- Prior trial experience is a plus but is not required.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the Office be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
OAG employees serve more than 19 million state residents through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State.
How To Apply
Applications are being received online. To apply, please click on the following link: MFCU_NYC_SAAG/CIV_3362
To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on August 27, 2021
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter (You may address to Legal Recruitment)
- List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses
- Law school transcript if less than five (5) years post-graduate (unofficial is acceptable)
- Writing Sample
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: ag.ny.gov
To apply for this job please visit lgr.ag.ny.gov.